Thioridazine - antipsychotic drug.
Dosage form and composition
The drug is released in the form of round, lenticular tablets. Each tablet contains the active ingredient - thioridazine hydrochloride 10 or 25 mg.
Additional components: potato starch, calcium stearate, lactose monohydrate, sugar, talc, gelatin, basic magnesium carbonate, Pasechnyi wax, povidone, titanium dioxide pigment.
The polymeric jars for 60 tablets.
Neuroleptics, which is a piperidine derivative of phenothiazine. It affects the peripheral and central nervous system, has a tranquilizing, antiemetic, anti-psychotic, anti-depressant and antipruritic action.
Indications for use of thioridazine
According to the instructions thioridazine shown in the following cases:
- manic-depressive psychosis;
- tics, Huntington's disease;
- severe behavioral disturbances, accompanied by aggression and inability to prolonged concentration;
- behavioral disorders associated with increased psychomotor excitability in children;
- psychomotor agitation of various nature;
- psychotic disorders, accompanied by increased arousal and hyperactivity;
- skin diseases accompanied by severe itching and painful;
- withdrawal syndrome (alcoholism, substance abuse);
- severe and moderate depression in adults;
- neuroses, accompanied by excitement, fear, sleep disturbance, depressed mood, obsessive-compulsive disorder.
- pregnancy and breastfeeding;
- Children under four years;
- acute depression;
- severe hypotension;
- traumatic brain injury;
- hypo-and aplastic blood diseases;
- coma of various etiologies;
- severe cardiovascular insufficiency;
- progressive systemic disease of the brain and spinal cord.
In the opinion of thioridazine should be used with caution in the following cases:
- mammary cancer;
- angle-closure glaucoma;
- pathological disorders of the blood;
- Parkinson's disease;
- kidney or liver failure;
- Reye's syndrome;
- prostatic hyperplasia;
- vomiting, cachexia;
- disease appealing thromboembolic disorders;
- chronic diseases that cause breathing problems;
- stomach ulcers and 12 duodenal ulcer;
Dosing and dosing regimen thioridazine
For instructions thioridazine for ingestion.
The batch is individually, depending on the evidence.
In schizophrenia, mania, psychosis and acute agitated states outpatients prescribed dosage of 150-400 mg per day, fixed - 250-800 mg per day. Generally, treatment is initiated with a low dosage of 25-75 mg per day, per week, gradually increasing it until needed. Antipsychotic effect of thioridazine on responses observed after 10-14 days.
Duration of therapy is a few weeks.
As maintenance therapy in taking thioridazine dosage of 75-200 mg per day before going to bed.
Elderly patients are generally administered in doses thioridazine 30-100 mg per day.
Abolition of thioridazine hold gradually.
When psychosomatic disorders the dosage is 10-75 mg per day.
For mild emotional disorders recommended dosage of the drug is 30-75 mg per day, with an average of emotional disorders thioridazine prescribed at a dose of 50-200 mg per day.
Thioridazine dosage for children depends on age:
- 4-7 years - 1-2 tab. (10-20 mg) per day, divided into 2-3 doses;
- 8-14 years - 2-3 tab. (20-30 mg) per day divided into three portions;
- 15-18 - Table 3-5. (30-50 mg) per day divided into three doses.
Side effects of thioridazine
In the opinion of thioridazine may cause the following side effects:
- Digestive system: anorexia, weight gain, diarrhea, vomiting, sialoschesis, intestinal obstruction, impaired thermoregulation, hypertrophy of tongue papillae, cholestatic hepatitis.
- Cardiovascular system: tachycardia, hypotension.
- Central nervous system: agitation, parkinsonism, confusion, photophobia, syncope, dyspepsia, and extrapyramidal disorders, insomnia, tardive dyskinesia, agitation, visual disturbances, reduced seizure threshold.
- Urinary system: dysuria, paradoxical ischuria.
- Hemopoietic system: thrombocytopenia, leukopenia, pancytopenia, granulocytopenia, eosinophilia, thrombocytopenia, agranulocytosis, aplastic anemia.
- Allergic reactions: skin rash, pruritus, exfoliative dermatitis, erythema, nasal congestion, bronchospasm, angioedema.
- Flooring System: gynecomastia, dysmenorrhea, decreased libido, false positive pregnancy tests, hyperprolactinemia, priapism, ejaculation disorder.
Long-term use of high doses of thioridazine reviews can cause melasma.
The combined use of thioridazine with:
- amphetamine increases the antagonistic effect of the drug;
- antidiabetic drugs increases their hepatotoxic effects;
- antiparkinsonian levodopa reduces its effect;
- antihypertensive drugs increases their action, the risk of orthostatic hypotension;
- guanetidinom reduces its antihypertensive effect;
- antithyroid drugs increases the risk of agranulocytosis;
- cisapride, pimozide, erythromycin, probucol, disopyramide, quinidine, astemizole and prokainomidom contributes to prolongation of the interval QT.
Thioridazine reduces the effectiveness of reducing appetite, the effectiveness of the action of the emetic apomorphine and increases its depressing effect on the central nervous system.
Storage conditions thioridazine
Thioridazine stored in a dry place at room temperature for no longer than three years.