Temodal (international name - Temozolomide) refers to a group of anticancer drugs that prevent the development of tumors and reducing the body during chemotherapy.
Structure and Composition of Temodal
The main active ingredient - 5 mg temozolomide.
Auxiliary components: starch, stearic acid, silicon dioxide, tartaric acid, lactose.
Temodal available in capsules of 5, 20, 100 and 250 mg. Each capsule is covered with an envelope consisting of titanium dioxide, gelatin, iron oxide yellow, indigo, sodium lauryl sulfate.
The pharmacological properties of Temodal
Temodal has a strong alkylating action, in which runs a braking mechanism of tumor formation and obstacles cell division.
Good reviews Temodal is how the drug is rapidly absorbed from the onset of therapeutic effect for an hour after the first dose.
Temodal excreted through the kidneys in the urine within 24 hours. The drug forms a connection with blood plasma proteins.
The active ingredients of Temodal not cause serious disruption to the kidneys and liver.
Temodal is indicated for the treatment of cancer:
- glioblastoma (multiforme type) of the brain;
- glial brain tumor;
Positive feedback received Temodal as an effective drug to prevent recurrence and eliminate the progressive process of cancer.
Instructions for use Temodal
In accordance with the instructions Temodal should be taken by adults and children from 3 years on an empty stomach, 2 times a day - 100 mg. The duration of treatment without chemotherapy is 28 days.
When used together Temodal and radiotherapy dose should be 150 mg 1 time per day during the first treatment cycle and the second cycle of treatment - 200 mg 1 time per day. The exact daily dose will be determined by the attending physician, depending upon the patient's diagnostic indications. Treatment may be divided into six periods intermittently or reduced dosages therebetween. The total course of treatment of cancer is 2 years.
According to the instructions Temodal in relapsed glioblastoma multiforme type is assigned to 75 mg 1 time a day for 42 days with radiotherapy.
During treatment, women may occur unplanned ovulation, so it is necessary to take effective contraceptives.
Temodal can cause recurrent bouts of vomiting, so on the advice of the physician appointed by antiemetic therapy.
During treatment, patients driving or working at dangerous objects, you need to suspend their activities.
Contra-indications Temodal is hypersensitivity and intolerance to the components of the drug, pregnancy and lactation, children under 3 years old, hemorrhagic cystitis, serious hereditary diseases (lactase deficiency, metabolic disorders, etc.), renal insufficiency.
Precautions should be prescribed the drug over the age of 60 years, with liver failure, severe stages for the current gynecological diseases.
Side effects of Temodal
Temodal can cause the following side effects:
- on the part of the digestive system - anorexia, hyperglycemia, constipation, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, indigestion, weight loss, gastroenteritis, fecal incontinence, flatulence, liver function disorders, hemorrhoids;
- Skin and subcutaneous tissue - skin rash, alopecia, dermatitis, dry skin, erythema, pigmentation disorders;
- on the part of the genitourinary system - decreased libido, uterine bleeding, painful ejaculation, candidiasis, herpes, Cushing's syndrome, urinary incontinence, impotence, vaginitis;
- on the part of the circulatory system - leukopenia, neutropenia, anemia, petechiae in the mucous membranes;
- of the cardiovascular system - edema, arrhythmia, tachycardia, hypertension;
- The respiratory system - bronchospasm, dyspnea, pneumonia, pulmonary edema, bronchitis;
- the central nervous system - dizziness, insomnia, confusion, fainting, disturbances of perception and coordination, hallucinations, memory impairment, neuropathy, tremor, fatigue, speech disorder, depression, epilepsy, amnesia, behavioral disorders of the psyche.