Loperamide - symptomatic medication used to treat chronic and acute diarrhea.
Loperamide reduces the tone and motility of the smooth muscles of the intestine, inhibits intestinal motility and increases the passage of intestinal contents, providing antidiarrhoeal effect.
Loperamide begins to act quickly and exerts its therapeutic effect for 4-6 hours.
Loperamide produced in the form:
- Tablets Loperamide 2mg, 10, 20, 30 or 50 pieces in a package;
- 2 mg capsule, 10, 20 or 30 pieces in a package;
- Yellow gelatin hard capsules Loperamide Acre, containing white powder inside the active substance - loperamide hydrochloride. Each capsule contains 2 mg of active ingredient, auxiliary substances - talc, lactose, colloidal silicon dioxide, magnesium stearate, corn starch. 10 or 20 pieces per pack.
Also, as the active ingredient loperamide included with other drugs, such as diarrhea and Imodium.
Loperamide is used for:
- When malabsorption and metabolism caused by a change in diet or the usual composition of food, for example, traveling or in the diet;
- For the regulation of the chair during an ileostomy;
- When infectious diarrhea as an adjunct;
- As symptomatic treatment of chronic or acute diarrhea radiation, allergic, drug or emotional etymology.
Loperamide for instructions contraindicated in:
- Bowel obstruction;
- Diarrhea to severe pseudomembranous enterocolitis background, dysentery and other infections of the gastrointestinal tract;
- Severe ulcerative colitis.
Loperamide is contraindicated according to the instructions in the first trimester of pregnancy. Also during lactation is a contraindication to the use of Loperamide.
Loperamide administered to children no earlier than 2 years, loperamide Acre - 6 years.
The drug is prescribed with caution in liver failure.
Instructions for use Loperamide
Loperamide Capsules and tablets are taken orally without chewing.
In acute diarrhea initial dose is 2 capsules loperamide Acre (or 2 tablets Loperamide) and then take medication in the case of loose stool after each act of defecation. According to the instructions of loperamide should not take more than 16 mg per day.
Adults with chronic diarrhea is usually administered 2 capsules loperamide acre per day, maximum - 8 capsules.
Children appoint loperamide:
- 4-8 years - 3-4 times a day to 1 mg for three days;
- 9-12 years - 4 times a day one tablet Loperamide for 5 days.
Babies loperamide Acre prescribed after 6 years. In acute diarrhea, the initial dose is 1 capsule, the maximum - 8 mg.
In the case of liquid stool after defecation each take 1 capsule, but not more than 6 mg per 20 kg per day.
In the absence of the chair 12 hours or more after the normalization of a chair or receive instructions by Loperamide should cease.
In case of overdose when using Loperamide can be observed violations of coordination, stupor, constriction of the pupils, drowsiness, intestinal obstruction, increased skeletal muscle tone, respiratory depression. To treat these symptoms use Naloxone and symptomatic therapy.
Various side effects of loperamide are typically observed when long-term use of the drug in the form:
- Electrolyte abnormalities;
- Intestinal cramps;
- Dry mouth.
Children loperamide often causes skin rashes and abdominal discomfort.
It is extremely rare for loperamide instructions cause urinary retention and ileus.
If loperamide for 2 days do not start to improve, you should check for the presence of infections that cause diarrhea.
If during treatment were constipation or bloating, loperamide should be discontinued.
The drug is sold without a prescription, Loperamide shelf life - 4 years.