Pyrantel - drug with anthelmintic action.
Pyrantel affects the muscles of the intestine of nematodes by blocking the action of cholinesterase and depolarization of neuromuscular junctions. It has activity against Trichostrongylus colubriformis, Necator americanus, Ascaris lumbricoides, Trichostrongylus orientalis, Ancylostoma duodenale, Enterobius vermicularis. Pyrantel acts on immature and mature to both sexes, does not affect larval stage of migration.
Guide to pyrantel: application and dosage
An individual approach on the basis of body weight and age of the patient:
- 1/2 l. or half a tablet (125 mg) - Children from 6 m. to two years of age;
- 1 l. or an entire tebletka (250 mg) - Children 2-6 years old;
- 2 liters. or two tablets (500mg) - children 6-12 years old;
- 3 liters. or three tablets (750 mg) - adults weighing 75 kg and children of 12 years;
- 4 l. or four tablets (1 g) - adults weighing 75 kg.
Note to the instructions Pyrantel: 1 measuring l. = 5 ml.
- When enterobioze and ascariasis use Pyrantel prescribed once in a dosage equal to 10 mg per 1 kg of body weight of the patient. In some cases, the drug may be in the minimum doses of 5 mg per 1 kg;
- When ankilostomidoze - reception for 3 days at a dosage of 10 mg per 1 kg a day;
- When the complicated shapes necatoriasis (massive invasion stage Necator americanus) Pyrantel applied at a dosage rate of 20 mg per 1 kg a day, with the duration of the reception for 2 days.
Note: Pyrantel should be taken during or after a meal, while the tablet must be thoroughly chewed.
Side effects Pyrantel
- On the part of the peripheral and central nervous system of the National Assembly according to the reviews of pyrantel: rarely - weakness, symptoms of insomnia, drowsiness, dizziness, headaches; in particular cases - a confused state of mind, hearing loss, paresthesias, hallucinations;
- From the digestive tract: possible stomach pain, vomiting, nausea, diarrhea; in rare cases - increase in liver transaminases;
- Other side effects, in the opinion of pyrantel: skin rashes, fever.
Contraindications to receive the drug
Hypersensitivity to pyrantel.
Pregnancy and Lactation
Objective and well-controlled studies on the safety of Pyrantel in pregnancy and lactation has not been carried out. The appointment of the drug in these periods is appropriate only if the expected positive impact on the mother outweighs the risk of problems for the baby or fetus. Based on the reviews of pyrantel obtained in the pilot study of the negative effects on the fetus have been identified.
The appointment of the drug to people with impaired liver function should be undertaken with caution. Pyrantel is also not recommended for appointment to the period of treatment of myasthenia gravis.
The course does not require the use of Pyrantel in supplemental laxatives. At the same time should be enterobioze and treatment of people living together. Upon completion of the course of treatment is necessary to have a final examination of feces in the absence of helminth eggs.
Pyrantel is more effective when the infection Ancylostoma duodenale (hookworm duodenal) than when Necator americanus (American hookworm).
- In pediatrics: a cautious use of the drug to children under 2 years;
- When controlling mechanisms and driving vehicles: in some cases after use Pyrantel in individuals may be dizzy, so care should be taken care at work, requiring active psychomotor reactions.