Ozokerite - is a substance natural resources, hydrocarbon, referring to the oil group. The word "mineral wax," in ancient Greek means "fragrant wax," in some places mining is a substance known as "black wax" and "tears of the earth." Obtained in the Ukrainian and Polish Carpathians, the UK, North America, Cheleken peninsula in the Caspian Sea. Ozokerite used in technical needs, for scientific purposes, as well as in medicine, namely in physiotherapy.
The chemical composition and properties
Its structure is complex mixture ozokerite, which included high molecular solid saturated hydrocarbons (ceresin, paraffins), mineral oil, resinous substance. Depending on the amount of oil and asphalt-resinous substances in, ozokerite consistency can vary from buttery soft to hard and brittle, like plaster, but often it is secreted. From the percentage of components depends on the color of mineral wax, which varies from light yellow to black, also found a brown and sometimes green mineral wax. It has a characteristic smell of kerosene.
This substance is not soluble in water, alcohol, alkalis soluble in gasoline, kerosene, chloroform and other chemical compounds. Ozokerite is flammable, so it is not allowed contact with an open flame.
Application of ozokerite
Montan wax is used in industry, in particular, it is extracted from paraffin, ceresin, but is used and solid ozokerite slaking process and purified.
From ancient times, almost everywhere in the places of production of the substance practice ozocerite treatment. In some states it is so effective, that has not lost its relevance today. For medical use ozokerite further purified and sterilized prior to use.
Ozokerite widely used in physiotherapy as warming compresses for diseases of the musculoskeletal system, as well as in chronic inflammatory diseases, pathogenesis of which play an important role the peripheral blood circulation. The therapeutic action of mineral wax his unique low thermal conductivity at high heat capacity, so that the substance is rapidly accumulates the heat and slowly it gives. Also, due to the chemical composition of the medical ozokerite in direct contact with the skin it has a surface-irritant effect, causing a rush of blood. It stimulates the blood circulation in the subcutaneous capillaries and improves metabolism in the affected area.
Reviews Ozokerite by pharmacists and physiotherapists indicate its resolving, analgesic, anti-inflammatory and antiseptic action.
As the therapeutic agent is used not only medical ozokerite, and preparations made from it: ozokeramin, ozoparafin, ozokerafin and ready ozokerafinovye napkins.
Indications for treatment, ozocerite
Ozokeritotherapy is usually carried out in a complex spa treatment, or as rehabilitation in outpatient conditions.
Indications for treatment, ozocerite following:
- Contracture of inflammatory and traumatic origin;
- Leg sores;
- Common chronic diseases in remission (pyelonephritis, prostatitis, urethritis, cystitis, cholecystitis, gastritis, gastro, pleurisy, etc.) As part of a comprehensive rehabilitation;
- Male and female infertility, as part of the course of balneotherapy;
- Post-traumatic rehabilitation.
Instructions for use ozokerite
According to the instructions ozokerite applied as compresses or by application cuvette, or so-called pellets. And compresses and cakes superimposed on clean, dry skin, if there is abundant vegetation, it is necessary to shave before the procedure. Patients are advised to carry out the procedure ozokeritotherapy in the supine position.
- Packs of ozokerite. Gauze or a bandage folded in 8 layers by making a so-called spacer. Ozokerite melted in a water bath or in a special apparatus. Attention! It is strictly prohibited direct contact with ozokerite heat source due to its easy flammability! The liquid gasket dip ozokerite, drained, cooled to a temperature of 45-50 ° C and then applied to the affected area. Prepared in the same manner a second gasket, except that the temperature should be above the first. Permissible temperature second spacer 70-80 ° C. The second pad is placed over the first, without touching the patient's skin. Heat-fit waxed paper or oil cloth top - padded jacket.
- Ozokeritovye cakes (cuvette-applique method). Liquid hot mineral wax is poured into ditches, previously lined with waxed paper. The size of the cell depends upon the desired application of the impact area. Means allowed to cool to a temperature 45-50 ° C, after which is recovered from the cell with the help of waxed paper. The resulting cake is applied to the affected area of the paper up over it laid jacket or cotton-gauze bandage.
The difference between the two methods mainly consists in operating temperature of the means - if cuvette-application method is the lower.
According to the instructions mineral wax is applied for up to one hour, but an average of 30-40 minutes, after which it is removed, and the place is covered with a blanket exposure or scarf wrapped for 40 minutes. The procedure is repeated every day or every other day, a course of treatment, ozocerite consists of 15-20 procedures.
In the opinion of mineral wax very rarely causes side effects in the case of his testimony, and in accordance with the instructions. Generally, the undesirable effects associated with individual intolerance or hypersensitivity of the skin. In this case, ozocerite treatment is stopped, appointing in his place other heating procedures such as paraffin.
To prevent chemical burns are not allowed to use in medical applications of the substance of unknown origin, for use is only permitted medical ozokerite.
Ozokerite contraindication has any disease in the acute stage, as well as chronic diseases in exacerbation. All diseases accompanied by bleeding, or have bleeding threat - contraindication to ozokerites. Also in the list are tumors (both benign and malignant), ulcerative diseases of the digestive tract, tuberculosis, severe pathology of the cardiovascular system, kidney stones, liver disease, and particularly of the pancreas. Epilepsy, hyperthyroidism, diabetes mellitus are also contraindications to ozokerites.
Do not prescribe this kind of treatment for existing skin diseases of an inflammatory nature. In the opinion of mineral wax may be undesirable and some gynecological diseases, especially those where there is a threat of suppuration, such as adnexitis, so in such cases require careful preliminary examination.
According to the instructions ozokerit not use during pregnancy.