NuvaRing - hormonal contraceptive medication for intravaginal administration.
Release form and composition
The vaginal ring is smooth, clear, colorless, with a transparent area at the junction.
One ring comprises:
- Etonogestrel - 11, 7 mg;
- Ethinylestradiol - 2, 7 mg;
- Auxiliary components: magnesium stearate, ethylene vinyl acetate copolymer (9% vinyl acetate), ethylene vinyl acetate copolymer (vinyl acetate 28%).
Hormonal combined contraceptive NuvaRing drug intended for intravaginal use. It contains ethinylestradiol (estrogen) and etonogestrel (progestogen) being 19-nortestosterone derivative.
The main purpose of the use of NuvaRing - inhibition of ovulation. Etonogestrel blocks the synthesis of FSH and LH by the pituitary gland, preventing thereby the follicle maturation.
In the opinion of doctors about NuvaRing, Pearl Index (a measure of the frequency of pregnancy in 100 women for one year of contraception) in the preparation is 0.96.
According to the doctors menstrualnopodobnoe NuvaRing reduces the intensity of bleeding and pain, reduces the frequency of acyclic bleeding and the possibility of iron deficiency.
In addition, reviews of NuvaRing reduces the risk of endometrial and ovarian cancer.
According to the instructions assigned as NuvaRing contraceptive device.
Method of use and dosage of NuvaRing
According to the instructions NuvaRing intravaginal use. Every four weeks, it is administered into the vagina. For three weeks a ring located in the vagina, and then, on the same day of the week, when it was placed, it was removed therefrom. After that you need to do a week's break and re-enter the ring into the vagina.
After two or three days after the removal of the ring starts bleeding associated with the abolition of the drug, which is before the installation of the new ring may not fully completed.
In the case of non-hormonal contraceptives in the preceding menstrual cycle NuvaRing on instructions entered into the first day of the cycle.
In the case of transition from the use of oral contraceptives NuvaRing, it should be administered on the last day of free admission interval of combined hormonal contraceptives.
Women taking the mini-pill, may at any time move to the use of NuvaRing. In this case, you must use a barrier method of contraception during the first seven days after administration of the ring.
According to the doctors NuvaRing can be used immediately after the abortion, produced in the first trimester. In this case there is no need to further use other contraceptives.
After the birth of NuvaRing use a manual start during the fourth week, provided that the woman does not breastfeed. The same applies to an abortion in the second trimester of pregnancy. Using NuvaRing according to the instructions at a later date requires additional use of barrier contraceptives during the first seven days of installation of the ring.
Contraindications to the use of NuvaRing
According to the instructions NuvaRing is contraindicated in the following cases:
- In arterial thrombosis, including transient ischemic, stroke;
- myocardial infarction or thrombosis precursors, including transient ischemic attack, angina pectoris;
- venous thrombosis, including pulmonary embolism and deep vein thrombosis;
- when heart defects with trobmogennymi complications;
- with a predisposition to the development of arterial or venous thrombosis;
- when liver tumors;
- in diabetes with vascular lesions;
- with hypertension;
- migraine with focal neurological symptoms;
- bleeding from the vagina of unknown etiology;
- hormone-dependent malignant tumors;
- during pregnancy and breastfeeding;
- in case of surgery followed by prolonged immobilization;
- in the case of smoking more than 15 cigarettes a day for women over the age of 35 years;
- in case of hypersensitivity to the drug.
In the opinion of the NuvaRing with caution it should be used when:
- atrial fibrillation;
- varicose disease;
- hemolytic uremic syndrome;
- systemic lupus erythematosus;
- uterine fibroids;
- fibrocystic breast;
- congenital hyperbilirubinemia;
- adhesions in the vagina;
- sickle cell anemia;
- smoking in women older than 35 years;
- states that impede the use of the ring (hernia of the rectum or bladder, chronic constipation, loss of the cervix).
Side effects of NuvaRing
In the opinion of the NuvaRing it causes frequent and rare side effects.
Common side effects of NuvaRing are:
- vaginal infections (vaginitis, candidiasis);
- migraine and headache;
- decreased libido, depression;
- weight gain;
- vaginal discharge, pelvic pain, genital itching, bloating and breast tenderness;
- nausea, stomach pain;
- loss of vaginal rings.
The rare side effects of NuvaRing are:
- urinary tract infections, cervicitis, cystitis;
- increased appetite;
- frequent mood swings;
- blurred vision;
- hot flashes;
- constipation, vomiting, diarrhea, bloating;
- itchy skin, eczema, alopecia;
- pain in extremities, muscle cramps, back pain;
- pollakiuria, urgency, dysuria;
- burning and dryness of the vagina, cervical polyps, amenorrhea, bleeding during intercourse, ectropion uterus, menorrhagia, fibrocystic breast disease, dyspareunia, uterine spasm, dysmenorrhea, premenstrual syndrome;
- foreign body sensation in the vagina, swelling, abdominal pain, malaise, damage or rupture of the ring.
Very rarely happen NuvaRing side effects such as hypersensitivity, skin rash and local reactions on the part of the penis (ie, foreign body sensation partner during sexual intercourse).
Shelf life and storage conditions
The drug is stored in a place inaccessible to children at temperature not exceeding 8 ° C. Shelf life - 36 months.