Nonoxynol - non-hormonal contraceptive product.
Structure and Composition
The drug is produced in the form of vaginal suppositories, 10 pieces per pack. One suppository contains the active substance - 120 mg of nonoxynol.
The pharmacological action of nonoxynol
Nonoxynol - local contraceptive. It helps to reduce activity, fragmentation of sperm, resulting in their death (spermicidal effect).
In addition to the contraceptive action of nonoxynol reviews have antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal activity against certain pathogens, sexually transmitted diseases.
Indications for use nonoxynol
According to the instructions Nonoxynol used as a contraceptive:
- irregular menstruation;
- occasional need of contraception, particularly in irregular sexual life;
- concomitant use of drugs that lower the effectiveness of oral hormonal contraceptives;
- the need to stop for a short or long period of oral hormonal contraceptives;
- there are contraindications to the use of an intrauterine contraceptive or oral hormonal contraceptives.
According to the instructions Nonoxynol is contraindicated in:
- cervical erosion;
- anomalies of development, impeding the use of the drug;
- hypersensitivity to the active component of the drug.
Side effects of nonoxynol
In the opinion of nonoxynol can cause irritation of the vagina, is manifested as a burning sensation, itching.
Method of use and dosage of nonoxynol
Nonoxynol for instructions intended for intravaginal use. It should be inserted deep into the vagina 10 minutes before sexual intercourse.
With each act of intercourse must use new candles.
In the opinion of nonoxynol for at least six hours after sexual intercourse should not be made the toilet of the vagina, as this may result in a weakening of the contraceptive effect.
The simultaneous use of candles with a condom.
Storage conditions and shelf life nonoxynol
The drug should be stored in a cool, dark place for no longer than 36 months.