Mefenamic acid is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory and anti-rheumatic drug used in diseases of the musculoskeletal system, slightly and moderately expressed pain syndrome, as well as feverish syndrome.
Mefenamic acid has anti-inflammatory, antipyretic and analgesic properties.
Anti-inflammatory effect mefenamic acid due to its ability to inhibit the synthesis of prostaglandins and serotonin, takes an important part in the process of inflammation. The ability to reduce the production of prostaglandins and influence the thermoregulatory center explains the antipyretic effect of mefenamic acid. Analgesic effect of the drug due to its effect on the central and peripheral mechanisms of pain sensitivity.
Mefenamic acid is able to increase the activity of T-cells, which play an important role in immune system function, and stimulate the production of interferon, which is indicative of its anti-inflammatory effect. After oral administration the maximum concentration of mefenamic acid in the blood can be observed within 2-4 hours. The half-life of the drug - 3 hours. About 67% of mefenamic acid excreted in the urine, and the remainder - with the feces.
Mefenamic acid, instruction confirms effective in inflammatory diseases of the musculoskeletal system, such as:
- Rheumatism (disease affecting the cardiovascular system and connective tissue);
- gout (joint disease caused by the accumulation of uric acid in them);
- Rheumatoid arthritis (destructive lesions of large and small joints of the extremities);
- Ankylosing spondylitis (spinal mobility restriction and possible involvement in the inflammatory process of the lungs, kidneys, heart and other internal organs).
Locally applied mefenamic acid is recommended in patients with erosive and ulcerative lesions of the oral cavity and dystrophic-inflammatory forms of periodontal disease (periodontal tissue loss).
It is advisable to use mefenamic acid for the removal of pain in neuralgia, sciatica, menstruation, childbirth, cancer.
Mefenamic acid is also effective in mild to moderate headache, toothache, pain in muscles, joints, bones, pain during menstruation, fever syndrome accompanying infections and colds.
Instructions for use mefenamic acid
Mefenamic acid is available in powder-form substance and tablets (250 mg or 500 mg). Inside it is recommended to take the drug after eating, drinking milk. Adults are usually prescribed by 250-500 mg 3-4 times a day with a maximum daily dose should not exceed 3 grams recommended daily dose of a therapeutic effect after - 1 gram.
Mefenamic acid, for children 5-10 years shall be appointed in a single dose of 250 mg, and for children over 10 years - 300 mg, the multiplicity of techniques for these age groups - 3-4 times a day.
Take mefenamic acid manual recommends for 20-45 days, but if necessary the course can be extended up to two months or more.
Mefenamic acid applied topically in the form of a paste of 1% or 0, 1-0, 2% solution. The paste is recommended to be administered into the periodontal pockets of 1-2 days (6-8 sessions) and with an aqueous solution should make application 1-2 times a day at ulcerative lesions of the oral mucosa.
According to the instructions, mefenamic acid can induce expression of undesirable effects, such as:
- gastrointestinal discomfort, indigestion, heartburn, nausea, loss of appetite, diarrhea, flatulence, constipation, gastrointestinal bleeding;
- high blood pressure, heart rhythm disturbances, peripheral edema;
- non-specific inflammation of the kidneys, hematuria (blood in the urine in an amount exceeding the norm), albuminuria (excretion of protein in the urine);
- bronchospasm, shortness of breath;
- drowsiness, blurred vision, weakness, insomnia, nervousness;
- allergic skin reactions;
- at high blood concentration - vomiting, cramps, muscle twitching;
- long-term use - a violation of blood, decrease in hematocrit (ratio of red blood cells to the volume of blood), hemolytic anemia (a disease caused by destruction of red blood cells enhanced).
Contraindications to the use of mefenamic acid
Mefenamic acid is not indicated for hypersensitivity, peptic ulcer, inflammation of the digestive tract, blood diseases and disorders of the kidneys and liver.
Mefenamic acid is contraindicated for children under 5 years old, pregnant and lactating women.
Mefenamic acid is fit for use for 3 years, provided it is stored in a dry, dark place where the temperature does not exceed 25