Lantus - insulin glargine (Insulin glargine), a solution for administration under the skin. Hypoglycemic agent, the insulin analogue of human long-acting.
The pharmacological action of Lantus ®
The active substance of Lantus ® insulin glargine, a complete analog of human insulin, prepared by genetic recombination bacterium Escherichia coli (strain K12). The low solubility of a neutral medium, is completely dissolved in Lantus through acidic (pH = 4) medium injection.
Introduction to the subcutaneous fat Lantus ® (insulin glargine)
- Due to the acidity of the solution, it promotes formation mikropretsipitat that constantly release a small amount of insulin that provides a smooth curve, and pharmacokinetic profile of the prolonged effect of the drug;
- It stimulates the biological effect and forms a connection with the insulin receptors in the body, similar in effect parameters and relations of endogenous insulin;
- Serves to regulate glucose metabolism, reducing its levels in the blood by increasing its consumption by peripheral tissues, inhibit gluconeogenesis;
- It enhances protein synthesis, while inhibiting proteolysis and lipolysis in adipocytes;
- Prolonged action Lantus ® (insulin glargine), due to a reduced rate of absorption, allowing it to enter once daily. Lantus ® action begins an hour after subcutaneous administration continues from 24 to 29 hours.
Form release Lantus ®
Lantus - almost colorless, clear solution for subcutaneous injection, available in glass cartridges (3 ml) or vials (10 mL). For ease of use designed cartridge system "OptiKlik" and cartridge syringe pen "OptiSet."
Analogs of Lantus ®
An analog Lantus ® for active substances (insulin glargine) - Lantus Solo Star, solution for subcutaneous injection. Analogs of Lantus ® mechanism impact of pharmacological drugs one subgroup - Levemir Penfill, Levemir FleksPen, solutions for subcutaneous administration.
Indications for use Lantus ®
According to the instructions Lantus (insulin glargine) is shown in the case of:
- I type I diabetes (insulin-dependent);
- Type II diabetes mellitus (non-insulin dependent) at the stages of resistance to oral hypoglycemic drugs, intercurrent diseases and pregnancy.
According to the instructions Lantus is contraindicated in:
- With heightened sensitivity to insulin glargine or to any of the ancillary components of the drug;
- Children under 6 years old.
Pregnant women should be used with caution, under medical supervision.
How to use Lantus ®
For instructions on the use of Lantus ® is necessary to strictly observe the following rules:
- Inject the drug into the subcutaneous fat thighs, shoulders, anterior abdominal wall, buttocks strictly at the same time, once a day, every day alternating the injection site;
- The dose and time of administration selected individually by the attending physician, may be the drug monotherapy or in combination with other drugs hypoglycemic agents;
- Lantus ® injectable solution should not be diluted or mixed with any other insulin preparations;
- Lantus should not be administered intravenously, the most effective action of the drug is by subcutaneous injection;
- When you go to Lantus insulin with other drugs should be carefully monitored blood levels of glucose during the first 2-3 weeks.
Scheme transition with other hypoglycemic drugs on Lantus should be doctor for a medical examination, taking into account the individual characteristics of the patient. In the following dosage regimen may be adjusted by increasing insulin sensitivity due to the improvement of the regulation of metabolism. The correction circuit may be required when changing lifestyles, social conditions, the patient's weight or other factors causing increased susceptibility to hyper- or hypoglycemia.
Drug interactions with a number of drugs can affect the metabolism of glucose. The following drugs affect the action of Lantus ® instructions:
- Drugs that enhance the effect of Lantus ® (insulin glargine) - ACE inhibitors, oral hypoglycemic drugs, MAO inhibitors, fluoxetine, fibrates, disopyramide, propoxyphene, pentoxifylline, sulfa drugs and salicylates;
- Drugs that weaken the effect of Lantus ® (insulin glargine) - SCS, diazoxide, danazol, diuretics, progestins, estrogens, glucagon, isoniazid, somatotropin, phenothiazines, sympathomimetics (epinephrine, terbutaline, salbutamol), protease inhibitors, certain antipsychotics (clozapine or olanzapine) , thyroid hormones;
- How to strengthen and weaken the effect of Lantus ® (insulin glargine), beta-blockers, lithium, clonidine, alcohol;
- The instability of the amount of glucose in the blood to the change in the hyperglycemia hypoglycemia can cause simultaneous reception of Lantus ® with pentamidine;
- Signs of adrenergic counterregulation may be reduced or absent when taking sympatholytic drugs - guanfatsina, clonidine, reserpine, and beta-blockers.
Side effects Lantus ®
The most frequent side effect of Lantus ®, reviews, is hypoglycemia, occurs when the received dose of insulin exceeds the demand. Repeated bouts of severe hypoglycemia can lead to the defeat of the central nervous system and pose a real threat to the life of the patient. The first signs of hypoglycemia occur sympathoadrenal activation system and expressed constant hunger, irritability, profuse cold sweating, tachycardia. The next step - neuropsychiatric disorders, expressed fainting, convulsive disorders, clouded consciousness.
The action of Lantus ®, reviews, may also undesirably affect the organs of vision. A wide range of changes in blood glucose affect tissue turgor and a refractive index lens of the eye, causing temporary blurred vision. When the rate of glucose in the norm for a long time, the development of diabetic retinopathy is terminated. In the presence of proliferative retinopathy if left untreated photocoagulation, in times of severe hypoglycemia can develop turning vision loss.
Prolonged use of Lantus ®, reviews, injection site may develop local delay absorption of the drug and lipodystrophy tissue, especially in the case of violation of the rules of the constant change of the injection site.
In rare cases, patients on reviews, Lantus can provoke local (county administration) and general allergic reactions - redness, itching, hives, swelling or inflammation.
Conditions and terms
Lantus should be kept in the dark, away from children at a temperature of 2 ° to 8 ° C. Shelf life - 3 years from the date on the package. Shelf life filled syringe pens OptiSet and systems OptiKlik - 4 weeks, at T 25 ° C, in a dark place.