Doxycycline - antimicrobial drug tetracycline.
Doxycycline is a broad-spectrum antibiotic, active against many bacteria (streptococcus, staphylococcus, salmonella, dysentery bacillus, syphilis and gonorrhea), Rickettsia (causative agents of typhoid fever), mycoplasma (cause diseases of the genitourinary system), chlamydia (cause infectious diseases, sexually transmitted diseases).
Sensitivity to the drug ureaplasma Doxycycline, which is an intracellular parasite that affects the genitals and urinary tract. Doxycycline is not valid for fungal infections and viruses. Penetrating into the cell of a microorganism Doxycycline protein synthesis gives it, which leads to the fact that the bacterium loses the ability to reproduce itself and soon dies.
Doxycycline maximum concentration in the blood can be observed within 2 hours after dosing in capsules. After a single application of Doxycycline therapeutic blood concentration is maintained for 18-24 hours, allowing receive antibiotic active once daily. Doxycycline, reviews confirm, in comparison with its progenitor, tetracycline, has a wider range of action and fewer possible side effects.
Use Doxycycline instruction recommends that:
- respiratory tract infections: pleurisy, empyema, bronchitis, pneumonia;
- ENT infections: otitis media, sinusitis, tonsillitis, sore throat;
- infections of the digestive tract: periodontitis, proctitis, peritonitis, cholangitis, cholecystitis;
- urinary tract infections: urethritis, pyelonephritis;
- diseases in women pelvic inflammatory;
- acute and chronic prostatitis, epididymitis;
- purulent soft tissue infections, acne;
- infectious ulcerative keratitis;
- prevention of infections after operations on the colon, medical abortion;
- malaria prevention at short journey to countries where the disease is prevalent;
- mycoplasma, chlamydia, syphilis, gonorrhea;
- whooping cough, brucellosis, rickettsial diseases;
- osteomyelitis, Q fever, Rocky Mountain spotted fever, tifah;
- yersiniosis, bacillary and amoebic dysentery, borreliosis, tularemia, cholera;
- Lyme disease, leptospirosis, actinomycosis;
- trachoma, psittacosis, granulocyte erpihioze;
- infections caused by Haemophilus influenzae.
Reviews of doxycycline confirm the efficacy of the drug in the above diseases.
Instructions for use Doxycycline
Doxycycline is available in capsule form, intended for oral administration, in the form of solution for injection.
Application of Doxycycline capsules is recommended after a meal with water to prevent possible irritation of the esophagus. The daily dose is taken either once every 24 hours, or two times with an interval of 12 hours.
Most infections involve administration of 200 mg of doxycycline on the first day of treatment and 100-200 mg on subsequent days. Infections that provoked chlamydia, mycoplasma, ureaplasma, doxycycline cures 10-14 days.
More severe infections involve receiving 200 mg of doxycycline throughout the course of treatment. In women, pelvic inflammatory disease treated by receiving recommended 2 times a day with 100 mg for men - 2 times a day or 100 mg single dose of 300 mg. When medical abortion 100 mg Doxycycline is used for 1 hour before surgery, and on its completion in half an hour - an additional 200 mg.
Doxycycline is used in syphilis guide recommends for 10 days at 300 mg every day. Within 2-4 days of 100 mg 2 times a day are taking doxycycline for gonorrhea. A single dose of 300 mg, is treated gonorrheal urethritis in men, however, unless the expected effect was obtained, men continue receiving doxycycline for 4 days with 200 mg, women - one day longer.
When acne effective use of doxycycline at a daily dose corresponding to 50 mg, for 6-12 weeks.
According to the instructions, Doxycycline can accept children over 8 years: 4 mg / kg on the first day of treatment, 2-4 mg / kg in the coming days.
The solution for injection is administered intravenously every 12 hours manner. Before use, 100 mg of doxycycline (1 ampoule) dilute 10 ml of water for injection, after which the resulting solution was added 1 liter of saline.
Adverse effects of the drug Doxycycline reviews and clinical studies include:
- nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, anorexia;
- skin rash, swelling, itching;
- sweating, dizziness;
- rarely - eosinophilia (increase in the number of eosinophils in the blood), photosensitivity (sensitivity to light), angioedema (increase some or all of the face, extremities).
- long-term use - thrombocytopenia (reduced platelet count), neutropenia (low neutrophil count), hemolytic anemia (destruction of red blood cells stable), the development of intestinal dysbiosis, yeast, sustainable change in the color of teeth.
According to the instructions, Doxycycline is contraindicated in porphyria (an increased number of porphyrins in the blood), leukopenia (reduction in the number of white blood cells), severe hepatic insufficiency, hypersensitivity to tetracycline or doxycycline.
Not doxycycline lactation during pregnancy and children up to 8 years. If a pregnant woman were found susceptible to the drug Doxycycline ureaplasma, mycoplasma, or other infectious diseases, the physician should commensurate the possible harm and potential benefits of the drug, or choose a different antibiotic.
For storage of Doxycycline must be dry and dark place with temperatures up to 25
C. Shelf life of the antibiotic - 4 years.