Digitoxin - low polarity cardiac glycoside extracted from the foxglove different species.
Structure and Composition
It is produced in the form of suppositories for 0, 15 mg for topical application in the form of tablets for 0, 1 mg for internal use.
The active ingredient - digitoxin.
Terms vacation digitoxin - a prescription.
Has expressed cardiotonic action (increases the strength of cardiac contractions), slows the heart rate. It has a strong cumulative properties of the gastrointestinal tract is absorbed quickly.
The drug takes effect after 2-4 hours after administration. It accumulates in the body.
Tablets Digitoxin according to the instructions prescribed for:
- severe and moderate heart failure, in particular, low cardiac output with normal sinus rhythm and the presence gallop rhythm, with ventricular dilatation;
- chronic heart failure with tachysystolic atrial fibrillation;
- to reduce the heart rate during sinus tachycardia due to congestive heart failure, a paroxysm;
- paroxysmal supraventricular arrhythmias (atrial flutter, atrial fibrillation, supraventricular tachycardia).
Candles Digitoxin prescription use in ophthalmology at:
- asthenopia (should eliminate the possibility of wrong selection of glasses and organic eye damage);
- eye fatigue when poor circulation, increased visual load, pain in the eyes, the occurrence of migraine attacks, with the beginning of presbyopia.
Instructions digitoksin: methods and dosage
The dosage is adjusted individually by the attending physician, depending on the regimen and indications.
Dosage digitoxin tablets by prescription for adults is in the early days of 6-12 tablets per day in four divided doses every six hours. After achieving a therapeutic effect dosage is reduced to 1 tablet once or twice a day.
Patients with eating disorders or stagnation in the portal vein candles Digitoxin prescribed according to the instructions. The drug is injected into the rectum by 1 or 2 suppositories twice daily the first few days after which the dosage is reduced to 1 suppositories once or twice a day.
Tablets and candles digitoksin for instructions contraindicated in:
- hypersensitivity to the drug;
- abnormal liver function;
- glycoside intoxication
Digitoxin tablets by prescription are prohibited when:
- AV-blockade of I and II degree;
- acute myocardial infarction;
- isolated mitral stenosis;
- cardiac tamponade;
- ventricular tachycardia;
- Syndrome WPW;
- unstable angina.
The use of digitoxin instructions can cause such side effects:
- Cardiovascular system: cardiac arrhythmias, AV-block, bradycardia;
- Central nervous system: euphoria, increased fatigue, depression, syncope, delirious state, insomnia, dizziness, headache, confusion;
- Digestive system: diarrhea, nausea, loss of appetite, vomiting;
- Hematopoietic system thrombosis mesenteric vessels;
- Bodies of: fly before my eyes, blurred vision, xanthopsia, scotoma;
- Reproductive system: the long-term treatment may develop gynecomastia.
The interaction with digitoxin medicines
Application digitoxin prescription in combination with aluminum-magnesium- and antacid cause a reduction of its absorption.
The simultaneous use of digitoxin instructions with corticosteroids is fraught with development glycoside intoxication.
In combination with azithromycin observed a significant increase in the concentration of active substance in the blood, leading to the development of glycoside intoxication.
Simultaneous treatment with Digoxin prescription aminglutetimidom, amiodarone and amphotericin B may cause glycoside intoxication.
Simultaneous administration of the drug with barbiturates is accelerating metabolism of digitoxin and its transformation into a digoxin.
Digitoxin combination with verapamil and diltiazem causes an increase in the blood concentration of the active ingredient.
In combination with dozipiramidom may develop severe arrhythmia.
The simultaneous use of phenylbutazone, rifampicin, phenytoin, spironolactone reduces the concentration of active substance in the blood plasma.
It is not recommended to combine the drug with carbenoxolone, since it causes a decrease in serum potassium, retains fluid in the body and increases the blood pressure.