Colchicine - a remedy for gout.
Structure and Composition
The drug is available in tablets of 1 mg of coated, 20 pieces in a package. One tablet contains the active ingredient - colchicine 1 mg.
Analogs of colchicine are kolhikum dispert, Kolhimin, Kolhitsein.
Colchicine is able to reduce the migration of leukocytes in inflammation and inhibit the phagocytosis of the microcrystals of uric acid salts. Partially or completely inhibits cell division in metaphase and anaphase, has antimioticheskim action stops neutrophil degranulation. It prevents the development of amyloidosis, reduces the formation of amyloid fibrils.
Highly effective for the prevention of acute gout attacks. Review Colchicine makes more than 75% of patients within 12 hours of application.
Colchicine for instructions prescribed for:
- gout prophylaxis or prevention of acute attacks;
- scleroderma, chondrocalcinosis, gouty arthritis;
- inflammatory diseases in otolaryngology and dentistry, some forms of phlebitis;
- Familial Mediterranean fever, amyloidosis.
Contraindications to colchicine
According to the instructions to use colchicine is contraindicated in case of:
- acute renal or hepatic failure;
- severe dysfunction of the bone marrow, gastrointestinal tract, CCC;
- septic infections;
- the elderly;
- Hypersensitivity to colchicine.
In the opinion of colchicine can cause such side effects:
- Central nervous system: peripheral neuritis, depression, neuropathy.
- Digestive system: nausea, abdominal pain, vomiting, loss of appetite, abnormal liver function, diarrhea, malabsorption syndrome (manifested in the lack of vitamin B12).
- Hematopoietic system: myelosuppression - aplastic anemia, neutropenia, agranulocytosis, leukopenia. With prolonged use of colchicine reviews suggest a possible manifestation of thrombocytopenia.
- Allergic reactions: morbilliform rash, urticaria.
- Other: Temporary alopecia, renal failure, myopathy, azoospermia.
Colchicine overdose calls for reviews of the following symptoms: severe diarrhea, abdominal pain, vomiting, nausea, pain in the mouth, burning sensation of the skin, hemorrhagic gastroenteritis, dehydration and severe decrease in blood pressure (up to hypovolemic shock), hematuria, convulsions, ST-segment elevation on ECG, oliguria, decreased myocardial contractility, inhibition of respiratory function, ascending paralysis.
There were reviews of colchicine on the occurrence of pulmonary infiltrates, acute renal failure, the development of hepatocellular damage as a result of an overdose.
Treatment of an overdose of Colchicine and its analogues is held under poison center. Hemodialysis is ineffective. There is no specific antidote. It is necessary to control the airway, to carry out maintenance of vital functions, making assisted ventilation, normalize blood gas, electrolyte balance, to carry out anti-shock measures.
Method of use and dosage of colchicine
According to the instructions of colchicine is taken orally. In the presence of inflammation and an acute attack of gout, the dosage is on the first day - one tablet three times a day, in the second and third days - one tablet twice a day for the fourth and subsequent days - one tablet once per day (preferably in the evening). In another design, one pill is taken, and, after an interval of one to two hours is still taken by half or whole tablet until disappearance of acute pain.
The prophylactic dose of colchicine on the instructions of one tablet once a day (preferably in the evening) for three months.
Maximum dosage - 8 tablets per day. In amyloidosis take from one to three tablets per day. The duration of treatment is at least five years.
Treatment with colchicine or analogues thereof is held under close clinical and haematological control. If you notice any side effects from the gastrointestinal tract is necessary to reduce the dose or stop the drug altogether.
In the case of reducing the platelet count below 100 thousand. / L and counts below 3 thousand. / L should stop taking colchicine or analogues thereof.