Cephalexin - semisynthetic
cephalosporin antibiotic, is a derivative of 7-aminotsefalosporinovoy acid. We present three forms of release: capsules (250 mg), tablets (250 mg) and powder for suspension (2, 5 g).
The principle of operation of cephalexin instructions - bactericidal. By the effects of the drug susceptible streptococci, staphylococci, pneumococci, Salmonella, E. coli, Shigella, Proteus, Haemophilus influenzae, Klebsiella, pallidum and several other organisms. Resistant to cephalexin have enterobacteria, enterococci, and Mycobacterium tuberculosis.
Cephalexin Absorption is almost 90%, the drug is well absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract. Despite the fact that the antibiotic is acid Cephalexin, food intake during or after administration of the drug can slow its absorption, but, in general, does not affect its completeness. The maximum concentration of active ingredient in the blood is achieved 1-2 hours after application cephalexin: wherein the antibiotic is uniformly distributed in the bronchial mucosa, lung, liver, kidney, heart. Against the background of diseases associated with impaired renal function, the drug concentration in the blood increases and the elimination half-life is prolonged, making 20-40 hours.
According to the instructions Cephalexin is indicated for use in:
• diseases of the respiratory tract caused by pathogens sensitive to cephalexin (pneumonia, bronchitis, pleurisy, lung abscess);
• Violation of the urinary and genital systems (cystitis, pyelonephritis, vulvovaginitis, epididymitis, endometritis);
• Diseases of upper respiratory tract (pharyngitis, otitis, tonsillitis);
• skin diseases (pyoderma, cellulitis, furunculosis, abscess);
• disorders of the musculoskeletal system (arthritis, osteomyelitis).
Hypersensitivity to cephalosporin antibiotics and penicillin, to avoid the possibility of cross-allergies.
According to some reviews to cephalexin are the following side effects with the use of antibiotics:
• Central nervous system: agitation, weakness, hallucinations, headache, drowsiness, dizziness, convulsions;
• From the urinary system can interstitial nephritis;
• On the part of the reproductive system: vaginal discharge, vaginitis, genital candidiasis;
• From the digestive system: nausea, vomiting, dry mouth, diarrhea, loss of appetite, abdominal pain, intestinal candidiasis, dyspepsia, in some cases - pseudomembranous enterocolitis, hepatitis, cholestatic jaundice;
• From the hematopoietic system: neutropenia, reversible leukopenia, thrombocytopenia;
• From the laboratory parameters: an increase in prothrombin time, increased activity of hepatic transaminases and alkaline phosphatase;
In addition, responses to cephalexin include the possibility of allergic reactions, urticaria, malignant exudative erythema, anaphylaxis, toxic epidermal necrolysis, arthritis, genital itching, dermatitis, in rare cases - angioedema.
The dosage of cephalexin
The optimum dosage of cephalexin for instructions determined taking into account the location and susceptibility and severity
the disease. The average dose for adults while taking cephalexin ingestion of 250-500 mg every 6-12 hours. Duration of treatment - 1-2 weeks. For children whose weight does not reach 40 kg, the mean dosage is 25-50 mg / kg 3-4 times per day.
Use of the antibiotic cephalexin recommended with caution when pseudomembranous colitis and kidney failure in history. During treatment may cause false positive reactions urine for sugar, as well as the positive direct Coombs' test. The drug was well crosses the placental barrier, so the use of cephalexin during pregnancy and breastfeeding may be the case when the potential benefit to the mother outweighs the perceived risk for the development of the fetus or child.
During therapy cephalexin alcohol is prohibited.
Drug interaction cephalexin
With simultaneous use of Cephalexin increases nephrotoxicity of polymyxins, aminoglycosides, furosemide, phenylbutazone. Excretion of the active ingredient of the drug indomethacin, and salicylates slowing.
These instructions are provided for informational purposes only. Do not start taking the drug without a doctor's recommendation.