Ceftriaxone - Cephalosporin 3rd generation.
Structure and Composition Ceftriaxone
The drug release
powder for solution in glass vials of 1g, containing active substance - Ceftriaxone 1 g
According to the instructions Ceftriaxone is a semisynthetic antibiotic belonging to the cephalosporin of the 3rd generation. The preparation is stable to beta-lactamases, as well as gram-negative and gram-positive microorganisms. It has a wide bactericidal action.
Ceftriaxone - indications for use
Ceftriaxone for instructions prescribed for these infectious and inflammatory diseases such as:
• wound infections;
• infections of skin and soft tissues;
• infections in immunocompromised patients;
• infections of joints and bones;
• disseminated Lyme borreliosis in the early and later stages;
• infectious abdominal disease (infection of the biliary tract and gastrointestinal tract, peritonitis);
• infections of the urinary tract and kidneys;
• infectious diseases of the pelvic organs;
• infections of the ear, nose and throat;
• infectious diseases of the genital organs;
• respiratory infections;
Ceftriaxone is an indication for the prevention of infections after surgery.
Application Ceftriaxone is contraindicated in case of hypersensitivity to cephalosporins.
In the opinion of ceftriaxone should be used with caution in renal impairment and liver, NUC, in colitis and enteritis caused by taking anti-bacterial drugs as well as newborns with hyperbilirubinemia.
During the reception, according to indications Ceftriaxone is forbidden to drink alcohol.
How to use Ceftriaxone and dosing regimen
According to the instructions Ceftriaxone is used for intravenous or intramuscular administration.
Children over 12 and adults prescribe ceftriaxone at a dose of 2.1 g once a day. In especially severe infections the daily dosage may be increased to 4 g
Infants aged two weeks, the dosage is 20-50 mg per kg of body weight once a day. The maximum daily dose of 50 mg per kg body weight.
Infants and children up to 12 years, Ceftriaxone dosage is 20-80 mg per kg of body weight once a day.
Children weighing more than 50 kg the dosage is calculated, as well as for adults.
Dosages of 50 mg per kg body weight and more when administered intravenously administered dropwise over at least an hour.
treatment depends on the indications for ceftriaxone. After the eradication of the pathogen and the normalization of body temperature treatment with ceftriaxone should be continued for another 2-3 days.
In bacterial meningitis in infants the dosage is 100 mg / kg body weight once a day.
If Lyme borreliosis children over 12 and adults administered 50 mg per kg of body weight once a day. The duration of treatment with ceftriaxone is two weeks.
Gonorrhoea ceftriaxone Review is effective at a dose of 250 mg intramuscularly once.
For the prevention of infections in the postoperative period of the drug is administered at a dose of 1-2 g once for an hour and a half before the surgery.
In the opinion of Ceftriaxone is following adverse reactions:
• Allergies: fever or chills, rash, eosinophilia, bronchospasm, serum sickness, erythema multiforme exudative, anaphylactic shock, skin rash, itching.
• Hematopoietic system: leukopenia, anemia, neutropenia, leukocytosis, thrombocytosis, lymphopenia, hemolytic anemia, thrombocytopenia, hypocoagulation.
• Digestive System: bloating, constipation or diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, taste disturbance, pseudomembranous enterocolitis, dysbiosis, impaired liver function.
• Urinary system: anuria, renal dysfunction, oliguria.
• Local reactions: intravenous administration - pain along the veins, phlebitis, intramuscular - pain at the injection site.
In addition to these adverse reactions Ceftriaxone on responses can cause nosebleeds, dizziness, superinfection, headache, and candidiasis.
Drug Interactions drug ceftriaxone
In an application with Ceftriaxone:
• drugs that reduce platelet aggregation, there is an increased risk of bleeding;
• enhanced anticoagulant effect of the latter;
• «loop" diuretics the risk of nephrotoxic effects;
Ceftriaxone Application during pregnancy and breast-feeding
Treatment with ceftriaxone in pregnancy is possible only under strict conditions.
Applying medication during lactation should stop breastfeeding.
Ceftriaxone belongs to the drugs list B. Store at room temperature in a dry place for no longer than three years.