Atenolol blocks nerve impulses, resulting in a decrease in the frequency and strength of cardiac contractions. Atenolol has hypotensive (lowers blood pressure), antianginal (eliminates the symptoms of myocardial ischemia) and antiarrhythmic (eliminates cardiac arrhythmia) action.
During the first days after the oral Atenolol observed reactive increase in total peripheral vascular resistance against reduction in cardiac output. Intensity of action for 1-3 days begin to decline. Hypotensive effect Atenolol is shown as a reduction in stroke volume and minute, reducing the systolic (maximum) and diastolic (lowest) blood pressure.
Reviews atenolol indicate that the hypotensive effect of the drug lasts for 24 hours, and in the case of regular use at the end of the second week of the results stabilize. Antianginal Atenolol is aimed at reducing myocardial oxygen demand by reducing heart rate. Clinical studies and reviews atenolol confirm that the drug reduces mortality in patients with myocardial infarction by reducing the frequency of angina attacks and ventricular arrhythmias.
From the gastrointestinal tract after oral administration Atenolol absorbed about 50% of the dose. Linking blood protein - 6-16%. The therapeutic effect can be observed Atenolol 2-4 hours after oral administration, this effect lasts for about a day. In practically not metabolized by the liver. Displayed atenolol kidney and hemodialysis. In breast milk, placental and blood-brain barrier penetrating the drug in small quantities.
The appointment of the drug is useful when:
- coronary heart disease;
- hypertension and hypertension;
- unstable angina, angina at rest, angina;
- hyperkinetic cardiac syndrome, reduction of muscle tone in the mitral valve;
- neurocirculatory violations with hypertensive complications;
- essential tremor, senile tremor and tremors accompanying withdrawal.
According to the instructions, atenolol can be used for prevention and treatment of diseases such as:
- myocardial infarction;
- arrhythmia of various etiologies;
- paroxysmal atrial tachycardia, sinus tachycardia, supraventricular and ventricular arrhythmias;
- atrial flutter.
Positive reviews atenolol confirm its effectiveness in complex treatment of hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy and thyrotoxicosis.
How to use Atenolol
The drug should be taken before a meal without chewing or crushing with water. The instructions to the atenolol listed the following recommendations: the initial dose for angina - 50 mg, the maximum daily dose - 200 mg daily maintenance dose - 25 mg once a day. A more complete and detailed dosing regimen determines the physician individually for each patient.
In a review of atenolol is rarely mentioned about the side effects, but it should be borne in mind that the body can react to the use of the drug as follows:
- memory loss, poor concentration, fatigue, weakness, dizziness;
- depression, hallucinations, anxiety, tremors, convulsions;
- infringement of visual function, reducing the activity of exocrine glands;
- heart failure, arrhythmia, bradycardia, hypotension, atrioventricular block, agranulocytosis, thrombocytopenia, chest pain;
- nausea, vomiting, dry mouth, blurred chair, epigastric pain, abnormal liver function;
- laryngospasm, bronchospasm, shortness of breath;
- Allergic reactions on the skin;
- impotence, decreased libido, changes in the activity of certain enzymes, reduction in body temperature in the extremities, increased levels of bilirubin in the blood.
Application Atenolol is necessary to end gradually in order to prevent complications, because this drug is characterized by withdrawal symptoms. Note, the higher the therapeutic dose, the more difficult and side effects are manifested. As the reviews atenolol, weakly expressed a negative reaction to the drug passes through the 2-3 weeks of regular use.
The instructions to the atenolol these diseases in which the use of this drug is prohibited, these include:
- cardiogenic shock;
- sinus bradycardia;
- atrioventricular block first and third degree;
- sinuaurikulyarnaya blockade;
- acute and chronic heart failure;
- violation of the acid-base balance toward acidosis;
- bronchial asthma.
Contraindicated appointment Atenolol persons with hypersensitivity to the drug,
Under the supervision of a doctor carried out the use of Atenolol pregnant and nursing women, children and persons of advanced age, as well as patients with myasthenia gravis, psoriasis, and depression.
Storage Atenolol should be carried out in a dark, dry place where the temperature does not exceed 25
Shelf life - 3 years.
All the properties and actions similar to the corresponding Nicomedes Atenolol Atenolol characteristics. Nycomed drug atenolol comes in tablet form with 50 or 100 mg. Production Atenolol Nycomed engaged the company "NYCOMED Denmark AnC».