Medrol - synthetic drug group glucocorticosteroids have effects on the severity of inflammation, immune response, as well as all types of metabolism in the body.
As the drug group glucocorticoids, Medrol has instructions for immunosuppressive, anti-inflammatory and anti-allergic effect.
The drug has effects on inflammatory and immune response, and the effect on protein, carbohydrate and fat metabolism, cardiovascular system, central nervous system and skeletal muscle.
Medrol produced in the form of white elliptical tablets containing different dose of the active substance - methylprednisolone:
- 4 mg - 10 pieces in blister, 30 pieces in dark bottles;
- 16 mg - 10 ili14 pieces in blister, 50 pieces in dark bottles;
- 32 mg - 20 or 50 pieces in dark vials.
Medrol also produced in the form of white suspensions for injection in ampoules or vials (Depo Medrol). 1 ml contains 40 or 80 mg of methylprednisolone acetate.
Instructions for Medrol is used to treat various diseases.
In endocrine diseases Medrol is used for:
- Chronic and subacute thyroiditis;
- The primary and secondary adrenal insufficiency;
- Hypercalcemia of malignancy;
- Congenital adrenal hyperplasia.
As adjunctive therapy in diseases of the musculoskeletal system Medrol according to the instructions is used for:
- Psoriatic arthritis;
- Post-traumatic osteoarthritis;
- Ankylosing spondylitis;
- Rheumatoid arthritis, juvenile rheumatoid arthritis comprising;
- Acute and subacute bursitis;
- Acute gouty arthritis;
- Synovitis of osteoarthritis;
- Acute nonspecific tenosynovitis.
Instructions for Medrol is also used as maintenance therapy in systemic connective tissue disorders:
- Acute rheumatic heart disease;
- Polymyalgia rheumatica;
- Systemic lupus erythematosus;
- Giant cell arteritis;
- Systemic dermatomyositis.
For the treatment of various skin diseases or Depo Medrol Medrol prescribed for:
- Mycosis fungoides;
- Severe seborrheic dermatitis;
- Severe erythema multiforme;
- Severe psoriasis;
- Bullous dermatitis herpetiformis;
- Exfoliative dermatitis.
With the ineffectiveness of conventional therapies in the treatment of allergic reactions Medrol is used for:
- Contact and atopic dermatitis;
- Seasonal or perennial allergic rhinitis;
- Bronchial asthma;
- Serum sickness.
Also according to the instructions Medrol is used to treat acute and chronic inflammation with damage to the eye:
- Optic neuritis;
- Sympathetic ophthalmia;
- Diffuse posterior uveitis and horioiditov;
- Allergic marginal corneal ulcers;
- Iritis and iridocyclitis;
- Inflammation of the anterior segment of the eye;
- Allergic conjunctivitis;
For the treatment of respiratory Medrol prescribed for:
- Symptomatic sarcoidosis;
- Aspiration pneumonia;
- Lightning or disseminated pulmonary tuberculosis in combination with an appropriate anti-TB chemotherapy;
- Loeffler syndrome.
In the treatment of hematological diseases Medrol effective in:
- Congenital or acquired aplastic anemia;
- Secondary thrombocytopenia in adults;
- Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura in adults;
Also Medrol Review is effective in the treatment of edema syndrome, disorders of the gastrointestinal tract, nervous system diseases and as a palliative treatment for cancer.
Hypersensitivity to the Medrol is a contraindication to the use of the drug.
Like other corticosteroids, Medrol according to the instructions prescribed in pregnancy only in absolute terms. During lactation the drug at the time of breast-feeding should be interrupted.
Caution should be used when Medrol:
- Gastric ulcer and duodenal ulcer;
- Acute or latent peptic ulcer;
- Active and latent tuberculosis;
- Acute and subacute myocardial infarction;
- Herpes simplex;
- Diabetes and predisposition to it;
- Ulcerative colitis;
- Open-angle glaucoma;
- Congestive heart failure;
- Acute psychosis;
- Severe liver or kidney disease;
- AIDS or HIV infection;
- Myasthenia gravis;
Instructions for use Medrol
Medrol dose oral dependent disease.
When using Medrol in any dosage form, treatment should be started with the lowest effective dose that provides a sufficient therapeutic effect.
Lower doses of 4 mg per day, used for less serious illnesses. Higher doses - 48 mg per day are used in multiple sclerosis, cerebral edema or organ transplantation. Dosage adjustment may be necessary when changing the clinical condition or the individual response to the drug.
Depending on the disease Depo Medrol is used:
- Intraarticular, periarticular and intrabursalno or directly into soft tissues;
- Introduction to the pathological focus, to achieve local effect.
The drug can be administered in the ankle, knee, shoulder, elbow, metacarpophalangeal, interphalangeal and hip joints.
The dose when using Depo Medrol also depend on the disease and may range from 4 to 80 mg.
When using Depo Medrol should take into account that the drug reduces the symptoms of the disease, but does not directly affect the cause of the disease. Therefore, when using Depo Medrol must be carried out by conventional therapy for each particular disease therapy.
In the opinion of Medrol can cause various side effects:
- Potassium loss and hypokalemic alkalosis, sodium retention, chronic heart failure, fluid retention, high blood pressure;
- Pathological fractures or vertebral compression fractures, tendon rupture;
- Mental disorders, pseudotumor of the brain, convulsions;
- Pancreatitis, gastric bleeding, esophagitis;
- The development of Cushing's syndrome, hirsutism, decreased carbohydrate tolerance.
Most often it reviews Medrol is a steroid myopathy, muscle weakness, osteoporosis, slow wound healing, increased intracranial pressure, menstrual irregularities.
Also on the guest Medrol can cause allergic reactions and systemic violations of the organs of vision.
The drug is related to the list B, Medrol shelf life - 5 years.