Ischium - one of the three bones that form, together with the iliac and pubic pelvic bone. After 16-17 years, these bones are connected by cartilage, and later, after the complete ossification of cartilage, the boundaries between them are smoothed.
Located at the base of the spine, pelvis, coccyx and sacrum bone serve receptacle and support for the vital organs located in this area, and provide attachment to the body of the lower extremities.
The structure of the ischium
The structure of the ischium are distinguished:
- The body of the bone, which forms the acetabulum (lowback Division);
- The branches of the ischium.
Ischial spine (bony prominence) is located on the rear surface of the body of bone.
Rear obturator tubercle ischium is at the forefront of the branches of the bone.
Ischial tuberosity as thickening with a rough surface is located on the curved portion of branch (low back surface).
The lower part of the branch of the ischium fused with the pubic bone (lower branch).
Ischial pubic bones and limit the obturator hole on the upper edge of which passes a broad furrow with similar obturator vessels and nerves.
The causes of pain in the ischium
Pain in the pelvic bone can be caused by different causes, which include both trauma and inflammatory disease of the hip joint and infectious processes.
Ischium fracture most often occurs due to the fall on the buttocks or compression of the pelvis. Sitting bones ache, usually when driving, particularly when bending the leg. Specify the diagnosis using X-rays.
Treatment of fractures of ischium should start with anesthesia fracture site. In most cases, one-sided and some bilateral fractures of ischium without displacement of bone fragments is enough to take a position with divorced srednefiziologicheskoe limbs or use special orthopedic bed. The entire period of treatment usually takes no more than a month.
Full recovery after a fracture, as well as a full load on the foot is possible not earlier than seven weeks. Rehabilitation after the fracture of the ischium apply physiotherapy, massage and physiotherapy exercises.
At displacement of fragments is necessary to treat with the help of skeletal traction for the femoral condyle. In cases where treatment is not carried out in time, it may eventually lead to the development of osteoarthritis of the hip with a strong violation of the support function of the limb.
Sitting bones ache as:
- With intense exercise. This can cause pain as large loads, and inflammatory processes, such as inflammation of the sciatic bags (bursitis sciatic, gluteal) often occurs when cycling classes. In inflammatory processes are generally carried out medication and physical therapy;
- When tumors of the pelvic bones. Depending on the growth rate of the tumor can be felt as pain on bone and tissue surrounding it. This is the most characteristic of fibrosarcoma or histiocytoma;
- In diseases of the blood system, namely in acute leukemia, bone marrow diseases, eritremii, chronic myeloid leukemia, multiple myeloma;
- Against the background of the development of infectious diseases such as tuberculosis and osteomyelitis of the pelvis;
- When metabolic bone disease as a result of violations or resorption of bone formation due to deficiency of minerals in the diet, the violation of their absorption in the intestine, or due to lack or disorder of metabolism of vitamin D.