Lymphostasis (lymphedema, lymphoedema) - congenital or acquired disease, persistent swelling, which is accompanied by a thickening of the skin, a noticeable thickening of the extremities, in the future leads to the formation of ulcers and development of elephantiasis. Lymphedema is caused by an imbalance between the formation of lymph and its outflow from the capillaries and lymph vessels in the peripheral tissues of the limbs and organs to the major lymphatic collectors and the thoracic duct.
Progressive lymphostasis destroys the lymphatic system, causing permanent psychological trauma patient, physical suffering and leads to disability.
According to WHO, most lymphostasis ill young women (about 10% of the total population) and the elderly.
Depending on the causes, lymphedema is divided into primary and secondary. The reason is considered to be the primary lymphostasis congenital abnormality of lymphatic vessels. Sometimes the disease can be detected immediately after birth, but, more often, the disease manifests itself and is found in the first half of his life, during puberty.
The reason may be a secondary phenomenon lymphostasis the following order:
- Occurrence of benign and malignant tumors of the lymphatic system
- Various injuries (mechanical damage, burns, radiation exposure, etc.), damaging the lymphatic vessels and lymph nodes
- Sedentary lifestyle of the patient (primarily, in bedridden patients)
- Chronic diseases that lead to venous insufficiency and lymphedema extremities complicating postthrombophlebitic disease, most often in the elderly
- Staphylococcal and parasitic infections
Also, the secondary lymphostasis reasons may be:
- Erysipelas of the lower extremities
- Klippel Trenaunay Syndrome,
- Operations in the thoracic cavity on the oncology
Stages and symptoms lymphostasis
There are 3 stages of development lymphostasis:
- In the first stage, there is an easy reversible swelling, appearing and disappearing in the evening in the morning after sleep. Over time, swelling and becoming systematic, although patients in this stage rarely go to the doctor, appearing anxiety causes them to use traditional remedies and self-medicate (bandage swollen limbs, draw the net iodine, apply compresses). At this stage, we have not yet begun connective tissue proliferation and with timely treatment to the doctor, and appropriate treatment, the disease recedes.
- In the second stage, the symptoms are characterized by increased lymphostasis already irreversible edema, growth of connective tissue and hardening of the skin. To pull the skin can cause the patient pain. By clicking on the tissue for a long period is a pit. At this stage, patients often go to the doctor. Despite the complexity of the treatment, if the patient is making the necessary efforts and fulfills the recommendations of the doctor, recovery is possible.
- On stage 3 symptoms lymphostasis increasing and the disease becomes irreversible. There are fibrosis, cysts, manifests pronounced lymphedema limb, lost their circuit functions are broken, there comes a stage elephantiasis and limited mobility. If untreated, there are sores, erysipelas, eczema.
Problems are further compounded, and can lead to many serious complications, up to sepsis and death.
- Diagnosis lymphostasis is to conduct the following inspections:
- clinical and biochemical analysis of blood and urine
- Consultation with a vascular surgeon examination of the chest and abdominal ultrasound, pelvic and leg veins (with lymphostasis limbs)
- lymphography lymphatic vessels to clarify their patency
If necessary, for the diagnosis lymphostasis appointed consulting other professionals.
Regardless of the stage of the disease and symptoms lymphostasis, all patients are subject to dispensary observation angiohirurga. The goal of treatment is to normalize the lymphatic drainage of the lower limbs and other organs.
Treatment lymphostasis - a long and complicated process. Used hardware techniques (pneumomassage, magnetic therapy, laser therapy), in combination with complex conservative methods (manual lymph drainage, compression bandage imposition).
Because drugs are appointed venotoniki polyvalent actions with lymphotropic effect, to improve peripheral circulation - angioprotectors, prostaglandins, antibiotics, immune-stimulating, diuretic and desensitizing therapy.
Great importance is attached to compliance with the treatment lymphostasis subkaloriynoy diet with restriction of salt, physical therapy and the overall revitalization: jogging, swimming, etc. Equally important is the attitude of the patient, his commitment to recovery, performance of medical recommendations.
Lymphostasis Treatment folk remedies
Treatment lymphostasis folk remedies is to purify the body through enemas by different techniques, use of apple cider vinegar, juice of dandelion, plantain, a mixture of red wine and fresh red beet juice, water infusion of horseradish, or the bark of aspen. Lymphostasis used in the treatment of folk remedies and herbal teas oregano, knotweed, fir twigs, leaves and flowers of willow-herb.