Lymphedema - a pathological condition in which there is a buildup of soft tissue edema of the lower limbs or other affected areas. Development
run-off when lymphedema is due to violation of the outflow of fluid through the lymph vessels.
There are primary and secondary lymphedema. Primary lymphedema develops due to congenital disorders of lymphatic vessels and is mainly manifested in childhood (80% of patients - children under the age of 18 years). In 94% of cases the cause of this type of lymphedema is a congenital aplasia and hypoplasia of the lymphatic vessels. In 6% of cases, the cause of lymphedema is an inherited disease. Often the causes of lymphedema is the transfer of serious injury and childbirth.
Secondary lymphedema is more common and is the result of primary infection, trauma, surgery due to removal or damage to the lymph nodes or burns. Secondary lymphedema is expressed most clearly in combination with lymph drainage difficulties violation of the venous outflow.
Symptoms of lymphedema
The most common symptoms of lymphedema are weakness, pain and feeling of heaviness in the affected location and the limited mobility of the joints. The skin in the affected area becomes thickened and pale in color.
In congenital lymphedema limb loss begins with the distal parts (feet or hands), then the fingers are beginning to swell painless. With the spread of the disease swelling goes on foot, ankle, hip and thigh (if struck by the upper limbs - in the hands and wrist joints). The skin begins to resemble a kind of orange peel, and limbs are like pillars.
Acquired lymphedema limb initially affects the proximal parts of the hands or feet on the lower level of the damaged lymph nodes (in the thigh or upper arm). Then the swelling extends to the distal extremities.
Diagnosis of lymphedema
Diagnosing the disease begins with a visual inspection of the patient phlebology check the history and measuring the volume of the affected limbs. Then, by limfangiografii carried out assessment of the small lymphatic vessels, which helps to determine the nature of the disease, and by means of lymphoscintigraphy study the dynamics of the disease. Identify and assess the full lymphostasis collateral, main and diffuse lymph flow helps the propagation of isotopes. In addition limfangiografii make an assessment and determine the status of lymph drainage of the lymphatic system is also using computer tomography, duplex scanning and magnetic resonance imaging.
Treatment of lymphedema
The absence of organic changes in the soft tissue allows for the treatment of lymphedema using conservative therapy, which includes the appointment of a course of physiotherapy, diet, physical therapy and spa treatments. In order to reduce the volume of the affected limb in patients assigned to the variable hardware pneumocompression, lymphatic drainage massage and wearing a bandage.
In severe course of disease it becomes necessary to create workarounds for lymphatic drainage and reducing the volume of the affected limb lymphedema, which is necessary to achieve the surgery. Surgical treatment of lymphedema can pass through the operation on the creation of anastomoses limfonodulovenoznyh lymphovenous or direct anastomosis, as well as partial or total excision of the plantar fascia, subcutaneous tissue and skin, followed by a perforated plastic split skin graft.
Lymphedema Treatment folk remedies
Symptoms of lymphedema can not only conventional medicine, but also folk remedies that must be combined with a complex physiotherapy. Lymphedema Treatment folk remedies made using the following procedures:
- Clay wrap the affected limb. For the implementation of the procedures must be in the ratio of one to two for the night to fill the clay with water to remove impurities and lumps, let stand overnight, then drain the water. Before applying clay to the affected area should be rubbed into the skin peppermint oil, then wrap a cloth limb fix bandage bandage and leave for 2-3 hours periodically wetting the clay with a wet sponge;
- The use of potato, cucumber, tomato and beet compresses. Shredded raw potatoes (cucumber, tomato or beets) must be put on the gauze, wrap it affected limb and leave for one hour;
- Application packs of yogurt and rye flour. The ratio of one to one you must pour boiling water rye flour, and let stand for 20 minutes. Then the swollen flour to be mixed with fresh yogurt, and the resulting mass is put on the gauze, which are imposed on the affected area and leave for two hours.
Prescription treatment of lymphedema folk remedies are:
- Dried or fresh rose hips is necessary to crush the juice, pour a glass of boiling water, then in a tightly closed container insist broth for two hours. The resulting liquid was taken 10 times a day in an amount of 100-150 ml for two months;
- Two cups of shredded birch leaves is necessary to fill in three liters of water and boil for half an hour. Ready need to strain the broth and add three liters of cold water, then drain into a bucket, which will go down in the limb. The duration of the adoption of therapeutic bath should not exceed 40 minutes;
- One tablespoon of chopped dandelion root pour half a liter of boiling water you need five minutes to cook on low heat, for 15 minutes, infuse, then strain. Ready to take the liquid 100 mL twice daily to and from half-hour to do compresses using the gauze bandage.