The crack edges
Rib fracture is a partial violation of the integrity or partial rib fracture without displacement of bone fragments, which arises as a result of injury or pathological processes in the human body.
Ribs in the body operate two vital functions:
- protect internal organs, which are located in the thoracic region;
- help to breath, keeping the open space within the chest that makes it easy to fill with air.
The muscles used for breathing, strained at the edges, so that the breath can be very painful for fractures and cracks in the ribs.
Causes of cracks rib
There are two main factors which arise due to the crack edges, namely:
- Direct traumatic impact on the chest area, which results in a traumatic incomplete fracture of the ribs. Often there is a rib fracture after a direct blow to the chest as a result of road accidents, injuries or falls from a height;
- Part broken ribs as a result of the pathological process in the human body, whereby injury or fracture of the chest no. In the role of pathological processes appear tumor formation in the chest, chronic osteomyelitis of ribs, ribs tuberculosis, osteoporosis, and other diseases of the blood, as a result of which the ribs lose their strength and become "glass", why can break even at microtraumas.
Equally important, in addition to the strength of the traumatic impact it has the age of the victim and the development of his muscle mass. Thus, children with injuries rib fracture occurs much less frequently than in adults.
Symptoms crack in the rib
The main symptoms of a crack in the rib are:
- continuous pain in the affected rib that increases with inspiration and coughing and weakening during expiration, so that sometimes it is impossible to breathe deeply;
- feeling short of breath;
- shortness of breath;
- a sense of anxiety and fear;
- dizziness, fatigue and drowsiness;
- edema, cyanosis soft tissues hematoma, subcutaneous bleeding and swelling of the skin in the area with the crack edge.
Diagnosis of cracked ribs
Diagnosis is carried out through cracked ribs medical examination during which the trauma surgeon should ask questions about the injury that caused the crack ribs, as well as:
- an X-ray of the chest;
- pressing on the chest, determine the location of the crack (as the X-ray image does not always show cracked ribs);
- watch and listen to the breath of the lungs, to make sure that air is moving normally and nothing prevents breathing;
- listen to the heart;
- check the head, neck, spine and abdomen to make sure there are no other injuries.
Treatment of crack in the rib
If the trauma surgeon believes that along with the crack ribs, there is damage to internal organs, it is likely to be necessary to carry out the treatment of cracks in the rib permanently with taking painkillers. In other cases, treatment cracks in the edge may be carried out at home and is usually at least six weeks.
In order to manage the pain that accompanies the crack edges and recover soon, you must:
- apply ice on the affected area;
- remain at rest, as much as possible to take leave from work;
- take pain medications such as aspirin and ibuprofen, a doctor may prescribe if necessary stronger painkillers.
It is important, despite the pain, cough or take deep breaths at least once per hour. This may help prevent pneumonia or partial decomposition of the lung tissue.