Fracture of the foot needs special attention and careful care, because every bone in his foot is closely linked with other, any
displacement or damage of one bone can disrupt or other deformation. Also, due to fracture of the foot may develop diseases of the musculoskeletal system, for example, flat feet or osteoarthritis. Fractures are about 2 feet of 5-10% of all fractures.
The reasons for the fracture of the foot
Fracture of the foot may be because:
• landing on his feet during a jump from a great height;
• heavy things falling on the foot;
• subluxation of the foot while walking on uneven surfaces.
Types of fracture of the foot
1. Fracture of the phalanges of the finger;
2. Fracture metatarsal bone of the foot (including a broken metatarsal bone of the foot 5);
3. Fracture of tarsal bones.
Signs of fracture of the foot
Common symptoms of bone fractures of the foot are pain and swelling of the surrounding tissue from the fracture site.
Symptoms of a fracture of the metatarsal bone of the foot (including 5 fracture of the metatarsal bones of the foot):
• foot deformity;
• pain during palpation and reliance on the foot;
• swelling on the soles, and sometimes the back of the foot.
Symptoms of bone fracture finger phalanges:
• the presence of hematoma;
• pain during movement and palpation;
• swelling and blueness of the patient finger.
Symptoms of tarsal bones fractures of the foot:
• haemorrhages on the skin;
• sharp pain during turns stops and support it;
• swelling of the soft tissue in the ankle and the fracture site.
Symptoms of a fracture of the foot with an offset:
• noticeable swelling of the entire foot;
• severe foot deformity;
• sharp pain at the site of the fracture.
Treatment of fractures of the foot
metatarsal. During normal fractures impose a plaster bus for one month. In cases where there is a displacement of bone fragments, the bone reduce a closed manner and fixed plaster on six weeks.
Tarsal bones. If there is no offset, fixed circular plaster bus for a period of three weeks to five or six months. If there are bone fragments displacement produce reposition them (restoring the desired position) and put skeletal traction.
The bones of the finger phalanges. Impose a plaster cast up to six weeks depending on the severity of the fracture. If there is a displacement of bone fragments further fixed with spokes.
Minor cracks and fractures of the foot can be treated without the use of casts. In such cases, stop fixed with a bandage or a special protective footwear. To reduce the load on the foot, used crutches.
Sometimes also prescribe medications for internal administration. Often, it is anti-inflammatory and vitamin supplements.
Recovering from a broken foot
The rehabilitation period depends on the length of the overlay retention bandages and severity of the fracture.
If there is a fracture of the metatarsal bone of the foot, it is advisable to engage in gentle therapeutic physical training for two months. Occasionally during this can be swelling of the foot. If it was offset after fixing plaster, its replacement is carried on the back of plaster bandage having a thickening at the heel (heel) to be worn even for two or three weeks. After the plaster is removed, the patient will need to use orthopedic insoles.
Fractures of the tarsal bones require a longer recovery period. Showing massage, physical therapy, gentle exercise and wearing insoles. For two or three months, all rehabilitation measures should be carried out under the supervision of doctors. Insteps worn at least one year.
If you had a broken finger phalanges, the patient every day need to knead massage. Also preferably, at least five months wear orthopedic shoes.