General characteristics of the disease
Gonorrhea - is an infectious disease caused by gonococci. The disease affects the genitourinary system and is transmitted mainly through sexual contact. Each year, the signs of gonorrhea detected in 62 million. In Russia, the annual fixed more than 170 thousand. New infected patients. In 50-70% of cases of gonorrhea in men and women combined with other diseases of the genitourinary system, in particular with trichomoniasis and chlamydia.
As the infection enters the body?
In most cases gonorrhea infection occurs during sexual contact. Thus signs gonorrhea may occur after the normal vaginal contact, and after anal or oral sex. In the latter two cases, the person develops gonococcal lesions of the rectum and mouth, respectively. It is also possible to directly infecting infection at birth, when the baby falls ill during the passage through the birth canal ailing mother.
In rare cases, gonorrhea in women occurs after the use of personal hygiene of an infected person. However, domestic infection is still the exception rather than the rule. This is due to two reasons:
- infectious agent dies quickly outside the body of the wearer;
- In order to begin to develop gonorrhea, the body must get the required number of pathogens, while household waste is almost impossible. Thus, you can not be afraid of infection in public toilets, baths and swimming pools, which, however, does not negate the observance of elementary safety precautions.
Gonorrhea - Symptoms of the disease
Mainly, gonorrhea affects the genitourinary system, but in severe forms of the disease and it affects other organs (mouth, eyes, joints, throat). The first signs of gonorrhea occur 1-2 weeks after infection. Symptoms of gonorrhea are different for men and women.
Gonorrhea in women manifests itself:
- purulent discharge from the vagina;
- pain in the lower abdomen;
- menstrual irregularities;
- increasing the number of spotting during menstruation;
- pain during and after sexual intercourse;
- frequent urination;
- pain during urination;
- swelling and irritation of the external genitalia.
Gonorrhea in men has the following characteristic features:
- purulent discharge from the urethra;
- pain during urination;
- redness of the glans penis;
- swelling of the orifice of the urethra.
Gonorrhea symptoms which appeared after anal sex, suggesting a possible inflammation of the colon. Therefore, irritation and itching purulent discharge from the anus an urgent need to see a specialist, venereal diseases.
What are the possible complications of gonorrhea?
Like many other diseases of the genitourinary system, gonorrhea can lead to serious consequences. In particular, gonorrhea, treatment which does not comply with the rules of the vagina spreads to other organs, causing infertility, the risk of ectopic pregnancy, pain during sex, premature birth of a child. In addition, children who contracted gonorrhea from the mother, often revealed severe eye infection, blood and joints. No less dangerous and chronic gonorrhea in men, which leads to inflammation of the ovaries and infertility.
Diagnosis of gonorrhea
If any doubt about the presence of gonorrhea should apply to the Skin and Venereal Diseases Clinic and undergo a comprehensive study of the cervical canal and the urethra. Do not be surprised if the doctors will want to take a sample from the rectal mucosa and pharynx century. They needed to identify bacteria and determine the methods of struggle against gonorrhea. Furthermore, the diagnosis is confirmed gonorrhea based on studies of urine and blood samples. Since gonorrhea often occurs on the background of diseases such as chlamydia and trichomoniasis, additional smears taken to identify these and other infections transmitted sexually.
What if you found gonorrhea?
- in any case not to self-medicate;
- consult your doctor and follow all its recommendations;
- for a while to give up sexual intercourse;
- notify all of their partners in order to enable them to be examined and to begin treatment in the early stages;
Gonorrhea - treatment of the disease
All basic treatment regimens for gonorrhea involve the use of antibiotics. This doctor should appoint as agents that affect gonorrhea and chlamydia against drugs and other common diseases of the genitourinary system. Directly gonorrhea treated with cefixime, ciprofloxacin, ofloxacin. Against Chlamydia well help: doxycycline and azithromycin. The dosage and method of use of drugs should choose the treating physician.