Mackerel - representative of a large family of mackerel (Scombridae), numbering 51 species. In English-speaking countries is called mackerel mackerel, which often causes confusion.
Representatives of the mackerel family vary greatly in size - from 60 cm to 4, 5 m, but regardless of the size of all the fish of this family are predators.
King mackerel (Scomberomorus) slightly larger than the real mackerel. The genus includes 9 species, the length of some of them exceed 2 meters. King mackerel (aka - the Sierra mackerel) have an elongated body and powerful jaws contain large triangular teeth.
This type of mackerel is widespread in all warm seas. They are most often found in coastal waters, as a rule, rocky coasts and near coral reefs.
The largest representatives of the king mackerel is striped (Scomberomorus commerson). Also called striped king mackerel Spanish mackerel. Their habitats - Western Pacific (from Africa to Japan), the Indian Ocean and the Mediterranean Sea. It belongs to the largest fish, reaching 180-240 cm in length with a weight of 50-70 kg. Painting striped mackerel from other fish mackerel family is characterized by a light belly and a big kink bands.
Other king mackerel do not reach such a large size:
- The Japanese king mackerel, common in the waters of Korea, Japan and North China, rarely grows more than a meter in length and weighs 3-5 kg;
- Indian king mackerel inhabiting the coast of South and Southeast Asia, usually reaches a length of 60 cm.
Mackerel belongs to the predators in the wild feed on sand eels, cephalopods, plankton, herring fry, coastal fish and any other fry.
All king mackerel distinguishes dense white meat, which has many beneficial properties and very high taste qualities.
The composition of the meat of mackerel
The composition of 100 grams of meat mackerel include:
- 20, 7 g of protein;
- 3, 4 grams of fat;
- 74, 5 g of water;
- 1, 4 g of ashes.
Because vitamins can be noted included sufficient vitamin PP.
Leaders macronutrients are mackerel meat, are potassium, phosphorus and sulfur (335, 240 and 207 mg per 100 g of meat respectively). Also mackerel saturated and other minerals, namely calcium, sodium, magnesium, chlorine, nickel, molybdenum, iron and chromium.
The energy value of meat is 113 mackerel, 4 kcal.
Useful properties mackerel
The beneficial properties of fish and richness of its meat fatty acids and vitamins depend on the time of year. In the spring of fat mackerel low (less than 3%). In the autumn of fat up to 30% by weight of the fish body. Caught in the autumn fish it is considered particularly useful because it is composed of a large amount of omega-3 fatty acids and valuable vitamins B12 and D.
According to many studies have proven that eating fatty fish twice a week, a significant impact on the aging process. The development of heart disease, arthritis, cancer, diabetes, bronchitis and psoriasis is also associated with a drawback in the body of fish oil, as evidenced by many studies. According to statistics from the Japanese, who eat three times more fish than Americans live longer than other nations.
Mackerel, like other oily fish (salmon, sardines, tuna) saturated fatty acids Omega-3, which determines the value of mackerel to health. The main properties of omega-3 are:
- Slowing down the aging process. According to research conducted in the UK regular consumption of mackerel along with other fatty fish has a beneficial effect on the health of not only young people, but also people suffering from heart disease. Also on mortality statistics with those who ate fish 3-4 times a week on the background of a serious heart disease, decreased by approximately 30%;
- Saving young arteries. It is proved that the more cells in the body of fish oil, the less likelihood of thrombus formation, because fish oil is in mackerel, it acts like aspirin, blood thinning. In addition, fatty acids Omega-3 help restore the elasticity of the arteries;
- It reduces the likelihood of heart attacks. A large study by Dutch scientists showed that an average of 30 grams of fish per day reduces the risk of heart attack in half. Similar results were obtained by researchers at the University of Ohio;
- It prevents the development of diabetes. Use mackerel or any other fish according to scientists from the Netherlands reduces the likelihood of developing type II diabetes doubled;
- It slows down the destruction of the lungs of smokers. Regular consumption of fish meat (an average of four servings a week) by 45% reduces the chance of developing bronchitis or emphysema.
By alternative plant fats contained in mackerel omega-3 are flaxseed oil, nut oil and wheat germ.
Also mackerel contains a large amount of powerful antioxidants such as selenium and coenzyme Q-10, capable of slowing down the aging process.
Culinary use of mackerel
Mackerel can be prepared in various ways: boiled, fried, baked, or smoke on the coals.
One of the traditional dishes of the residents of Israel is mackerel mackerel gratin. To prepare fillets cut into small pieces, add a small onion, a teaspoon of salt, ground white pepper and ground cumin, a tablespoon of starch and one medium-sized boiled potatoes. All ingredients should be mixed in a blender, and then fry in a skillet over medium heat. Serve the casserole mackerel fillet with green salad and boiled potatoes.
For the preparation of a king mackerel fish steaks flavored chopped garlic, salt, pepper and olive oil and completely covered with slices of lemon, baked in foil on the grill. This dish tastes best combined with dry wine.
A useful is the use of fatty fish as food 2-3 times a week. A large number of oily fish can enhance any bleeding and reduce immunity. You should also be careful when using mackerel simultaneously with anticoagulants or any other medication, blood thinning.
In addition, it is believed that only useful for health mackerel, grown in the wild.