Basal cell carcinoma of the skin
Brief description of the disease
Basal cell carcinoma or basal cell carcinoma of the skin - a tumor of the epithelium of the skin characterized by scaly pink stains due, mainly on the face. Basal cell carcinoma (or tumor) is a single reddish nodule, towering above the skin surface.
At risk are the elderly with light skin and people who regularly expose themselves to solar radiation. Sometimes gardeners so addicted to ennoblement of your site, they do not notice the scorching sun protective creams and neglect, and wide-brimmed hats. And in vain! It is fraught with the appearance of cancerous tumors - basaliomas. Also, the likelihood of tumors, including basal cell carcinoma, increases several times, if you frequently contact with arsenic and petroleum products containing large amounts of carcinogens. Among children and adolescents the risk of basal cell carcinoma is almost excluded.
The symptoms of basal cell carcinoma of the skin
The disease occurs in the surface shape. The symptoms of basal cell carcinoma of the skin at first glance inconspicuous, so elderly people it is difficult to recognize at an early stage. At the beginning of its development, basal cell carcinoma is small (no more than 1 cm in diameter) and looks like a small pimple on the face or neck. Then it's nodules, yellowish-gray or matt white, painless, causing a slight itching. Several of these nodules, fused together to form a basal.
For years, the nodules may slowly grow and develop without causing you inconvenience. But the result is always the same - rises above the surface of the skin basal cell carcinoma tumor. It can be of several types:
- Knot. It has small, slightly itchy and bleeds.
- Surface. It looks like smooth shiny pink basal cell carcinoma, is easily treatable
- Flat. The reddish plaque with hard sharp edges, like a roller. The surface of the basal cell carcinoma scaly, rough. When separating the flakes may allocate small amounts of blood.
You should be aware that the basal cell carcinoma grows very slowly, but in particularly severe cases, it can destroy nearby tissue, including cartilage and bone, which is fraught with severe pain. More often than basal cell carcinoma successfully treated with one of the following methods.
Treatment of basal cell carcinoma of the skin
Severe basal cell carcinoma is dangerous because it destroys the deepest layers of the skin and reach the bones, causing pain. Modern medicine offers many ways to treat basal cell carcinoma. You just need to consult with your physician, on the stage and to the structure of the tumors determine the most effective of all methods.
There are six ways to treat tumors, including basal cell carcinoma and treatment:
- Radiation. This type of treatment involves exposure of the skin lesion short-focus X-rays in conjunction with remote gamma-therapy and is used for the treatment of basal cell carcinoma is only the initial stage.
- Laser. This method is considered to be one of the most progressive and effective. He is absolutely painless and well tolerated in the elderly.
- Surgery. Removing basaliomas surgically is by far the most popular, and even among the experts, it is the most trusted. It is worth remembering that this type of treatment can be used only for small amounts of basal cell carcinoma, or in areas where post-operative scars are not evident.
- Drug. You may be assigned to cytostatic, ie antineoplastic drugs. Use them only after consulting your doctor and do not engage in treatment of basal cell carcinoma own!
- Cryogenic. On affect basal liquid nitrogen, thereby freezing it. This procedure is painless and fast, so it is enough just one procedure and without anesthesia. Another advantage of this method - inconspicuous scars.
The treatment of basal cell carcinoma in the home does not exist simply because it is - cancer, and please, take it seriously.
Prevention of basal cell carcinoma of the skin
People "aged" must remember the prevention of basal cell carcinoma, and their bodies more than others prone to frequent colds and other ailments, including basal cell carcinoma of the skin. Make it a rule a few simple tips to help you stay healthy for many years to come:
- In the summer, try not to go out in the hours of maximum solar activity (11: 00h - 16: 00h). Or, going outside, apply to exposed skin a special cream, impervious to UV-rays, with a protection factor of at least 20 units. Be particularly careful to protect the face and neck - basal cell carcinoma often appears there.
- Follow your diet, consuming as little as possible animal proteins. Will be useful only vegetable proteins contained in seeds, nuts, and various beans. Eat more vegetables.
- Do not injure the old scars. If they are in places where all the time exposed to friction and other effects, check with your doctor.
- Intensively treat ulcers and sores that do not heal. Innocuous at first glance, they may provoke basal cell carcinoma of the skin.
- Use caution when working with oil.
And finally, some statistics: an average of 100,000 people in Russia accounts for 26 cases of basal cell carcinoma men and 21 women. Prevents the appearance of basal cell carcinoma, so as not to be at risk.