The wedge-shaped defect teeth
The wedge-shaped defect - a V-shaped lesion hard dental tissues on the outside, which is most common in elderly and middle-aged. The pathology of the disease occurs in both single and plural manifestation, usually on the front of symmetrical teeth (fangs) or premolars (bicuspid). Localized wedge-shaped defect on the buccal and labial surfaces of the teeth in the cervical area, and the form it looks like a triangle pointing its apex towards the cavity of the tooth.
Diagnosing wedge-shaped defect
The wedge-shaped defect possible to diagnose two ways:
- with external displays, when expressed in the cervical enamel defect area in the form of a step tooth V-shaped (wedge). Often reflecting wedge-shaped defect, after exposed at the neck of the tooth periodontal lesions (periodontal tissue). In contrast to the wedge-shaped defect of tooth decay has a polished, smooth skin surface
- when a pain in humans against mechanical, chemical or thermal effects. This method of diagnosis is used in rare cases, as wedge defect, usually not accompanied by pain at the initial stage.
Tapered defect must be differentiated not only from cavities, but also from tooth erosion.
Etiology emergence of a wedge-shaped defect
Pundits of dentistry still "cross swords" the real reason, which provokes a wedge-shaped defects of teeth. We will try to consider the three main theories of V - shaped change. In any case, each of these theories has a right to exist, and the most interesting - each of them can lead to the defect.
- Erosion (chemical theory). It is believed that the effect on tooth enamel acidic aggressive chemical environment (both liquid and gaseous) - variety of citrus fruits, soft drinks, juice, etc. - Lead to the emergence and progression of wedge-shaped defect.
- Abrasion (mechanical theory). It includes the systematic mechanical effect on teeth of solid foreign bodies, which leads to occurrence of a defect. This disease can cause the use of rigid toothbrush. This right-handers disease is more pronounced on the left side, while the left-handed - right.
- Load (physico-mechanical theory). A growing number of doctors gnathology inclined to believe that the wedge-shaped defects of teeth - is the result of occlusion disorders, in other words, bite. In short, each tooth is obliged to assume a certain pressure, which, if correct occlusion is uniform. If the bite is broken, most of the effort in the processing of food takes one of the teeth. As a result of the depreciation of the horizontal bending of the tooth in the area of the cervix, which, by the way, the enamel is thinner, cracking occurs first, and then is formed wedge-shaped defect.
The clinical picture
The wedge-shaped defect is characterized by shiny, smooth walls. Through the tissue may show through the pulp, which is never revealed. In the early stages it looks as cracks or abrasions, which expands and begins to resemble a wedge. The solid bottom and polished smooth bottom wall - a characteristic of the disease. At the same time there is exposure of the tooth neck. Tapered defect usually not accompanied by pain, since process flows quite slowly and deposition substitution dentin time to prevent a painful effect. In advanced forms of the disease there is a risk of tooth crowns broken off. Patients often seek medical attention because of the aesthetic problem, which is visible when smiling.
Treatment wedge-shaped defect
Treatment wedge-shaped defect in the early stages associated with the elimination of traumatic factors. To do this, an exception is made of abrasive pastes and powders and hard brushes. Experienced dentists in most of its mass is already defined in terms of the fact that before starting treatment wedge-shaped defect, requires a full analysis of the occlusion. Medical gnathology after detecting traumatic factors will optimize the occlusion, thereby eliminating a major factor of the disease.
Methods of treating a wedge-shaped defect
- Conservative method used in the early stages of the disease. It includes the application of remineralizing agents, namely, solutions of calcium gluconate, sodium fluoride, using a variety of paints and ointments. This treatment is carried out in conjunction with toothpastes that lower sensitivity. Remineralizing therapy is used, as a rule, up to two times a year.
- Treatment wedge-shaped defect in the more advanced stages require more radical treatments that include fillings with JRC (glass ionomer) or modern composite materials. It is impossible not to mention the fact that the filling does not always solve the problem, although it is one of the most common treatment options.
- Installing veneers in some cases, it helps to ensure that the cause of the disease is eliminated, and significantly improves the aesthetics of the dentition.
- Installing a metal-metal-free crowns and is an effective solution to the problem wedge-shaped defect. Although there is a possibility that a defect crown will continue progressing
In conclusion it is necessary to draw attention to the fact that all the methods and treatments wedge defects listed above are used in each case after a thorough study of the problem by your dentist. Treatment wedge-shaped defect - quite individual, long-term and time-consuming process. In this case, understanding on the part of the patient, and only a professional dentist will do everything possible to give you back the joy of open and bright smile.